Stained Glass Windows

The Stain Glass Windows of RPC:
An Introduction and History

Dating back to 1820, the stained-glass windows of Rockville Presbyterian Church offer us visual insight into our faith as well as a remembrance of prominent figures in our church’s history.  This booklet describes the symbolism of these windows and introduces the people to whom they are dedicated.

The 16 windows in the sanctuary, narthex, and passageway are frequently paired.  One set is dedicated to a mother and child. Two sets are dedicated to mothers, and four sets to husbands and wives.  Twelve of these windows have the distinctive Gothic arch.  The pair in the narthex are rectangular and are more contemporary in shape and style.  The pair in the passageway are also rectangular.  The 17th and most recent window dedicated to Evelyn Mohn  is located in the fellowship hall also known as the Calvin Room. It also has an arch similar to the twelve windows in the sanctuary, but with a contemporary design.

Willet studios of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, created most of the windows using colored glass techniques unchanged since medieval times.  The studio has made windows for the National Presbyterian Church.  The Willet trademark is the small angel often engraved in the lower right corner.  Four of the earliest windows, the two pairs dedicated to Waters and Stonestreet, were made by the Gettier Studio of Front Royal, Virginia.  The creator of the oldest window, the Rose window, is unknown. 

The present sanctuary was built in 1930 to replace the one lost to the construction of a second courthouse in downtown Rockville.  The church’s architectural design, based on the open hall Anglican parish plan, is similar to the predecessor.  Several artifacts from the earlier church were brought to this one, including the pews, bell and the Rose window. The windows are described from right to left as you might see them from a pew. 

The Waters windows in the front right corner leads to the Stonestreet windows and then to the Wilson pair.  The Mason windows to the front left are followed by the Talbot, Quincoses, and Hein windows.  The Cornelius windows are in the passageway, and the Fahl and Pasma windows occupy the narthex.  Together, along with the Evelyn Mohn window, create a unity of color and message that contributes to the charm and historic character of the church.

To learn more about our stained glass windows, download the Stained Glass Window brochure.

Skip to toolbar